Charlie grew up in Jindabyne, on an angus beef and merino wool farm about 30 minutes from the Snowy Mountains. In addition to skiing from a young age he was also into mountain biking, FMX, skateboarding and eventually discovered surfing. More recently he has also started rock climbing.
Charlie started competing in skiing at about age 14, about at which time he got his first sponsor Dragon eyewear. At age 17 he was picked up by The North Face, and has since developed into an amazing all-round skier performing at a high level in halfpipe, slopestyle and big mountain competitions.
“To me skiing is about the freedom it offers and the opportunity for adventure it presents. Like any sport that allows you to choose your own approach and express your individuality, skiing gives you a sense of freedom not found in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, or in team sports. Personally I have an appreciation for any skiing that utilises natural terrain, but each to their own. I think Ski slopestyle and halfpipe are also great parts of the sport and are really fun too. I think Australian backcountry skiing also has a lot of potential and in the future I hope to explore the Australian alps a lot more.”
What music you listen to?
Everything, at the moment Trampled by Turtles
Scroggin and protein
Three things you always pack?
Books, Lap top, Pow skis
‘Boy’ – a kiwi film
Proudest Sporting Moment?
Red Bull rails when I was 16. Huge crowd.
Most Humbling Moment?
Watching Fraser McDougall ski a gnarly line near Mount Cook.
Favourite TNF Product?
Summit Series expedition tents.
Causes you are passionate about?
I strongly disagree with Australia’s asylum seeker policy.
Favourite destination for your sport?
Favourite piece of history in your sport?
Happy Dayz was the best ski movie ever.
Who inspires you most?
- Alaska, just to see the mountains there was cool.
- Any heli trip I’ve ever done in NZ has been a highlight.
- Coming back from two knee injuries and finishing third in the mile high slopestyle behind Russ Henshaw and PK Hunder last winter was great.
- Camping up in the Australian alps is always a highlight. Many many more trips and photoshoots.
- Around USA and Europe have been highlights for me.
- Heli trip with Scott Schmidt was amazing.
- Heli trip with Erik Roner also a major highlight.