Growing up in the Geelong area and having some of the most scenic coastal tracks in Australia, Blake was always going to be amongst trail. Initially road cycling at an elite level for a number of years, and dabbling in other outdoorsy activities such as climbing and hiking – Blake made the jump into trail running and had an immediate impact on the scene within Australia and abroad.
The freedom and nature of trail running meant new discoveries and epic new adventures into and beyond the Anglesea area. Accompanied by his trustee trail companion, Walt – the serenity restored a much needed enjoyment factor to training and racing.
Currently Blake works part-time at the local running shop, is also studying Zoology and Animal Science at University and most certainly can be found with Walt shredding the Victorian trails.
WHAT MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO?
Not a huge music person, but I enjoy Of Monsters and men.
Shotz gels and electrolyte tablets.
THREE THINGS YOU ALWAYS PACK?
An assortment of hats, shoes and my R8 Roller.
I can’t pick just one! I’m partial to the Harry Potter Series though.
Simply love running.
PROUDEST SPORTING MOMENT
Coming 3rd at Transvulcania Ultra.
MOST HUMBLING MOMENT
Getting utterly annihilated by Luis Alberto Hernando at Transvulcania even when I had a good day. Kind of a contradiction to my answer in the last question, ha.
FAVOURITE TNF PRODUCT
The Endurus TR, thanks for this one Dbo!
CAUSES YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT?
Animal welfare and environmental conservation.
FAVOURITE DESTINATION FOR YOUR SPORT?
My backyard on the Victorian coastline!
FAVOURITE PIECE OF HISTORY IN YOUR SPORT?
There’s not really any one moment or race that stands out to me. I kind of feel like the sport is just beginning to find its feet a bit more and in 20 years time we’ll be able to look back with a bit of a better perspective.
WHO INSPIRES YOU MOST?
People that are faced with hard and traumatic situations, or live lives that aren’t at all conducive to performing well, but manage to overcome it and still be successful.
- UTA Pace 22km - 3rd
- Geelong Half Marathon - 4th 1:11
- Mt Buller 36km - 1st
- Glow Worm Tunnel Trail Marathon - 1st
- 1st - Buffalo Stampede Skymarathon in 3:59:17 (CR) This race also coupled as the Australia & New Zealand Continental Skymarathon Championships.
- 1st - Baw Baw Trail Festival Marathon and overall King of The Mountain
- 3rd - Transvulcania Ultramarathon 73km (La Palma, Spain) in a time of 7hrs25min.
- 4th - Sai Kung 50km, 5hrs18min (Asian Skyrunning Continental Championships)
- Nominated as AURA Junior Ultra Runner of the year.
- 1st GOW100s in Course record time of 9:08
- 2nd Bogong2Hotham 64km – 6hrs 56mins. (3rd fastest time in the races 30yr history and only the 4th person to ever go under 7hrs)
- 2nd Shotover Moonlight Mountain Marathon 42km – 4hrs 50mins (New Zealand)
- 1st Overall Baw Baw 3-day Trail Running Festival. Inc. 1st in the marathon in a new course record, 1st in the 13km day run, 1st in the technical downhill in a new course record and 2nd in the technical uphill.
- Selected to represent the Australian/New Zealand Sky Running team at the World Sky Running Championships, 80km ultra marathon in Chamonix, France.
- 6th place at the Skyrunning World Championships, Chamonix, France.
- 1st Wilson’s Promontory 60km – 6hrs 16mins
- 1st Salomon Trail series Round 4, 15km – 52mins50secs
- 1st Great Ocean Walk 100km (first 100km race) – 9hrs 28mins
- 1st Razorback Run 42km – 3hrs 57mins
- 2nd Mount Buller Skyrun 45km – 4hrs 18mins (First ever trail race, February 2013)
- Nominated for selection for Australian Ultra Runner of the year.